Oxford Says No to Additional Huawei Funding in 'Light of Public Concerns'

Oxford University has decided to forgo further Funds from Chinese tech giant Huawei as Examination grows in Europe over the telecom company’s relationship with the Beijing government.

Huawei was under fire in recent weeks with the arrests of a leading executive at Canada and a worker in Poland, along with a worldwide campaign by Washington to blacklist its equipment.

“We currently have two such ongoing projects, with a joint funding from Huawei of GBP 692,000 ($898,000),” a university spokesman said Thursday, adding that Huawei was informed of this decision to turn away future financing.

Oxford said it had decided in”light of public issues raised in recent months enclosing UK partnerships with Huawei.”

However, a Huawei spokesman said the company hadn’t been informed and would”await the University’s full explanation.”

“We have operated in the united kingdom since 2001, employ 1,500 people here and also have long standing research collaborations together with 20 other UK universities working to develop the technology of the future,” he said.

Huawei faces unprecedented challenges for its company amid a global campaign by Washington to push countries to reconsider with the telecom giant’s gear in their cellular networks over security issues.

Australia and New Zealand banned its own equipment last year and a top British operator proceeded to eliminate its current equipment, while worries grow in Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Poland, the Czech Republic and other countries.

Huawei’s reclusive founder Ren Zhengfei stepped out of the shadows this week to provide a rare media meeting, forcefully denying accusations that his firm engaged in espionage on behalf of the Chinese government.

The business fired the Chinese worker in Poland who had been detained on espionage allegations.

Ren’s daughter and Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada a month on US fraud charges associated with Iran sanctions violations.